Re: Wanted: Clueful Individual @ TeleGlobe.net

  • From: David Charlap
  • Date: Tue Jul 25 10:08:50 2000

Hal Murray wrote:

> I was trying to call 800-xxx-xxxx.  It didn't work.  I forget the
> details, but it was roughly:
>
>   PacBell (my local carrier) said it wasn't their problem.  AT&T
>   (my long distance carrier) said it wasn't their problem, but they
>   told me which carrier owned that number.  Of course, they couldn't
>   fix it - their end worked OK.  Some operator tried it and said
>   "works for me".

Gee, this sounds familiar.

I live in Virginia, using BellAtlantic for local service and MCI for
long distance.

I tried to place a call to a friend on Connecticut.  It wouldn't
connect.  I'd get a dead line (no ring, no error, no nothing) for a
minute and then my own dialtone again.  Calling other long distance
destinations had no problem.

Bell Atlantic insisted that they had no problem (and since the call went
through when I use the 1010-ATT prefix, they were probably right).  When
I called MCI, the operator tried to place the call and it went through
fine, so they insisted that it couldn't possibly be their problem, but
she was kind enough to open a trouble ticket anyway.

I have no idea what actually happened (probably a defective line card in
a switch somewhere) but it was working the next day.

-- David