Re: Sprint/AOL

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Fri Jul 21 00:21:29 2000

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, David A. Snodgrass wrote:

> The sprint outage list announced a lot of work being done in planned
> maintenance window.
> Aparrently sombody did an 'oops'.
>
> Purpose for maintenance: Network buildout/enhancement
>
> Maintenance date: 07/24/2000
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Maintenance start time: 00:01 AM EDT
> Estimated end time: 07:00 AM EDT

I got that notice and thought maybe that was it too, until I noticed the
date was a few days in the future...so I called an opened a ticket.  First
person I talked to played dumb (ok...maybe they didn't have to play) and
said she knew of no backbone problems.

If I shut down my BGP session with Sprint, and 10 minutes later, they're
still propogating my route advertisements, and routing in loops, and not
routing at all in some cases, I think that's a problem.  About an hour
later they seemed to have mostly stabilized, so I called back to tell
them, "don't call me, I'll call you" and was told that "something had
happened" that had forced them to reset a whole bunch of their routers.
The guy made it sound as if some customer/peer might have sent Sprint a
lot of routes they weren't supposed to have.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |