Re: someone RBL'd a reserveD-8 number from IANA

  • From: Joe Shaw
  • Date: Thu Jul 20 12:15:46 2000

It seems some people don't Martian filter IANA-reserved space, and some
providers that do BGP with their customers don't filter their customers
announcements.  So, there's nothing to stop a person from getting a T1 to
a provider that doesn't filter announcements and announcing some
IANA-reserved space to do malicious things through, and then stop the
announcements of the IANA-reserved space after their done.  It's not
likely that anyone else would be using the reserved space, and less
chance that people will be actively filtering it like they do RFC1918
address space.  The effects of such activities are left as an exercise for
the reader.

--
Joseph W. Shaw