route-reflector hierachies

  • From: Lavelle, Neil
  • Date: Thu Jul 20 10:36:49 2000

Hi All,

I have a debate raging with one of my co-workers as to how one should deploy
route-reflectors that has reached the point where I need some help from
people that know lots about it ;-)

If I have a number of clusters each with its own route-reflector(s) how
should I peer between clusters ?

>From reading RFC1966 ( and common sense ) it seems that the clusters should
be fully meshed, and this is my opinion, however another opionion is that
one should build a tree of route-reflectors with some route-reflectors not
serving clusters but solely existing to reflect to other route-reflectors.

Now I think the second idea would work and might be useful in some very
specific cases, but would be madness given that each of the route-reflectors
that form nodes of the tree represent single points of failure and that a
failure of the root node would have catastophic results ....

Any comments ?

Thanks in advance

Neil

--
Neil Lavelle
Orchestream                         Avon House