Re: Wanted: Clueful Individual @ TeleGlobe.net

  • From: Chris
  • Date: Mon Jul 17 12:52:43 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: Wanted: Clueful Individual @ TeleGlobe.net

> At 11:32 AM 7/17/00 -0400, Chris wrote:
>  >
>  >You have to remeber that most major providers don't have time to mess
with
>  >non customers. If you want to get any kind of resolution you need to
send
>  >email to there noc and open a ticket with your provider, because that is
who
>  >AT&T or TeleGlobe is going to work with. Also by opening a ticket with
your
>  >provider you let them clear the return path through there network(which
is
>  >almost always diffrent that your path there), and you also don't bug
people
>  >on nanog with mail like this.
>
> In other words, "most major providers" do not have time to fix their own
> network?

No in other words most people need to get a clue, because(having worked in
the noc of a large provider) most of the time there is no problem or it is a
problem in the return path(and there providers network) and not even on the
provider they are callings network.

> If someone called my NOC with a real problem on my network, customer or
> not, my NOC *will* fix that problem, or that NOC monkey will be looking
for
> another job.  Problems on your network are your problem, whether a
customer
> reports them or some random person on the street.  You should be thanking
> them for backing up their (failed) internal monitoring system, not telling
> them to bugger off.

I am willing to bet you don't have over 5,000 customers like  most BACKBONE
providers do.

> Also, suggesting someone get their provider to open a ticket with the
> network in question is a bit silly.  This is the North American NETWORK
> PROVIDERS' Group - most of the people who post here *ARE* a provider.
(And
> are very well aware of asymmetric routing on the Internet.)

Also lets face it most of the people on this list are BUYING transit from a
provider or providers; That makes them customers NOT a backbone provider. If
you notice you don't see Sprint or UUnet, or C&W posting here looking for a
AT&T router person.

Why? When I worked at the noc of a large provider we got and worked tickets
all the time that were not on our network. And I have never had any problems
with Sprint like Sean was talking about. All I had to do is tell them who I
was with and they helped me. (w I didn't work for sprint).

> Besides, this does not always help.  As Sean pointed out, some networks
> will not open tickets for peers (even though that is in every peering
> agreement I have ever seen).

That doesn't mean they will not work with a peer.