Re: RFC 1918

  • From: ww
  • Date: Mon Jul 17 12:21:32 2000

    >> Imagine that you inherit  a network where RFC1918 addresses are
    >> used on most or all backbone links.

    Eric> Imagine you inherit two of them, and they're both using
    Eric> 10.1.x.x. That's the kind of trouble that end-users have as
    Eric> well. When their networks are running 10.1.1.x and they get
    Eric> ICMP messages from remote networks with that address, all
    Eric> kinds of problems can occur.

Agreed.

    Eric> When ISPs choose to mark their packets with Internet-illegal
    Eric> addresses, they are contributing to these problems. Sorry,
    Eric> but you're not supposed to be using these addresses anyway.

    >> Because it's  reasonably difficult  to get real  addresses from
    >> ARIN

    Eric> ARIN is absolutely the root cause of the 1918
    Eric> problem. They're the principle driver behind the NAT market
    Eric> by extension as well.  If it weren't for their qualification
    Eric> rules, the Internet would work a helluva lot better.

Looking at the BGP tables, I see lots of holes in the address space. A
particularly big one  is almost a quarter of IPv4  space -- 65.0.0.0 -
126.255.255.255, which is listed as reserved by ARIN.

Since  IPv6  can be  seen  on the  horizon,  maybe  they should  start
allocating  some of  this, and  stop forcing  people  into problematic
situations like  using RFC1918 addresses  in the core  by artificially
creating scarcity?

And what about 5.0.0.0/8 and 7/8  and 11/8 etc. that are all listed as
allocated  but  are not  used.  Due to  the  scarcity  of this  public
resource, should there not be some sort of "use it or lose it" policy?

Cheers,
-w
--
Will Waites \________