Re: Wanted: Clueful Individual @ TeleGlobe.net

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Mon Jul 17 12:06:35 2000

At 11:32 AM 7/17/00 -0400, Chris wrote:

>You have to remeber that most major providers don't have time to mess with
>non customers. If you want to get any kind of resolution you need to send
>email to there noc and open a ticket with your provider, because that is who
>AT&T or TeleGlobe is going to work with. Also by opening a ticket with your
>provider you let them clear the return path through there network(which is
>almost always diffrent that your path there), and you also don't bug people
>on nanog with mail like this.

In other words, "most major providers" do not have time to fix their own network?

If someone called my NOC with a real problem on my network, customer or not, my NOC *will* fix that problem, or that NOC monkey will be looking for another job. Problems on your network are your problem, whether a customer reports them or some random person on the street. You should be thanking them for backing up their (failed) internal monitoring system, not telling them to bugger off.

Also, suggesting someone get their provider to open a ticket with the network in question is a bit silly. This is the North American NETWORK PROVIDERS' Group - most of the people who post here *ARE* a provider. (And are very well aware of asymmetric routing on the Internet.)

Besides, this does not always help. As Sean pointed out, some networks will not open tickets for peers (even though that is in every peering agreement I have ever seen).

> Chris

TTFN,
patrick