Re: RFC 1918

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Mon Jul 17 07:34:34 2000

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Bohdan Tashchuk wrote:

> The relevant snippet of my rules on my ingress filter is:
>
> 	1) ... block bad things such as unused or spoofed addrs ...
> 	2) allow icmp from any to any icmptypes 0,3,4,11,12
> 	3) deny ip from 10.0.0.0/8 to any
> 	4) deny ip from 172.16.0.0/12 to any
> 	5) deny ip from 192.168.0.0/16 to any
> 	6) allow tcp from any to any 1024-65535 established
> 	7) ... some other rules ...
> 	8) deny everything else by default
>
> Line #2 allows relatively benign incoming ICMP, such as "fragmentation
> needed", but hopefully blocks the more problematic stuff.
<SNIP>
> If you take it upon yourself to "filter all RFC1918 usage" from the outside
> world, you (and your customers) will suffer for it. Because it seems to be
> established practice out there.

The ruleset you use is great for a leaf-node.  The problem it can
represent on the borders of a larger network is that a lot of nice script
kiddies like to spoof their source as RFC1918 space and since ICMP is 8
times out of 10 their payload, using such on the edges exposes the core
(and potentially some poor customer of yours on a DS1, etc) to whatever
level of hate-and-discontent you're capable of accepting on the borders.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc