RE: RFC 1918

  • From: rdobbins
  • Date: Sun Jul 16 14:22:01 2000

>If people don't want whiners niggling them about the RFC 1918 addrs
>showing up in traceroutes, they should just put RFC 1918 filters on
>their borders, so that the whiners simply won't get returns to their
>traceroutes.

>-Bennett

I don't know if denying folks the use of legitimate testing tools due to
deliberate misuse of RFC 1918 addressing - after all, its title is 'Address
Allocation for Private Internet' - is such a hot idea.

To quote from the RFC:

	With the proliferation of TCP/IP technology worldwide, including
outside the Internet 	itself, an increasing number of non-connected
enterprises use this technology and its 	addressing capabilities for
sole intra-enterprise communications, without any 	intention to ever
directly connect to other enterprises or the Internet itself.

I don't see much ambiguity there concerning the intent of the authors, nor
the IETF in accepting their premises.

 Roland Dobbins <[email protected]> // 818.535.5024 voice