Re: Different customer service reactions (was Re: Wanted: Clueful Individual @ TeleGlobe.net)

  • From: Alex Bligh
  • Date: Sun Jul 16 09:14:48 2000

Many organizations refuse to open tickets for arbitary third
parties because otherwise one risks doing the support for ones
more slovenly downstreams' customers. Given over 90% of NOC
calls are not issues the NOC can or should handle, placing
some form of limit on resource given to unknown third parties
is normally a useful way of ensuring your customers get
better service.

I guess argues for the 'hop-by-hop' methodology of interprovider
cooperation and problem resolution. However, given there are
some NOC's who won't open a trouble ticket for *peers*, or
(sometimes amusingly) for *upstreams*, perhaps this is a
broken metaphor.

Bypass on first-line clue detection is useful. We find
'I am calling from ASnnnn' works well, especially when
the NOC response goes 'Q: what's an AS? A: Ask your supervisor'.

--
Alex Bligh
VP Core Network, Concentric Network Corporation