Wanted: Clueful Individual @ TeleGlobe.net

  • From: Derek J. Balling
  • Date: Sun Jul 16 02:15:01 2000

OK, I've tried the normal methods... phone, email... no response...

Sample snip from phone call:

Me: I wanted to report some network issues on your network. You're showing some pretty major packet loss between <ip> and <ip> on your network.
TG: What's your circuit ID?
Me: I don't have a Teleglobe ckt, I'm just some average schmoe who has noticed that you're dropping packets on the ground at a VERY alarming rate.
TG: I can't enter a trouble ticket for you unless you're a teleglobe customer.
Me: Don't enter it for me, enter it for yourself, its your network that's got the problem.
TG: I can't do that.
Me: So even though your network is sucking wind right now and hemorrhaging packets, you won't start up a trouble ticket simply because I'm not PAYING you to take a trouble ticket?
TG: Ummmm, correct.
Me: If you were a Teleglobe customer, and knew that someone had reported this problem but you ignored the request because the person telling you about it wasn't a customer, would you be pissed?
TG: Ummmm, probably.
Me: So put your fingers to the keys, and do the RIGHT thing, and open up a ticket on it.
TG: I can't.
Me: OK, let me speak to your supervisor.
TG: I can't. I'm the supervisor tonight.
Me: Is there ANYONE more clueful above you in the chain of command that I could hope to speak to in order to try and help you guys from putting yourselves out of business?
TG: Ummmm, no not right now.
Me: When would there be more people in.
TG: Monday.
Me: Bah, by then, you'll be out of business. Cheers.

FYI, their problem is here:

Hostname %Loss Rcv Snt Last Best Avg Worst
5. atm8-0.core1.paix.teleglobe.net 0% 32 32 78 78 141 480
6. if-4-0-0.bb5.NewYork.Teleglobe.net 55% 14 32 172 161 195 437