Re: RFC 1918

  • From: Michael Shields
  • Date: Sat Jul 15 01:05:07 2000

In article <[email protected]>,
"Richard A. Steenbergen" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I still have not seen a single compelling arguement which says you gain
> one bit more security by filtering RFC1918-source'd packets. It is useless
> at best, and disruptive at worst.

No correct configuration will send me packets with a source address
from RFC 1918 space.  In a correct world, such filters will have no
effect.  Only packets from the incorrect world will be hit by these
filters.  As a matter of network policy, I do not wish to speak to
incorrect hosts, whatever their intentions.

If being unable to connect to MSRL hosts causes people to fix their
incorrect configurations, I am pleased.  If it causes them to be
upset, I am indifferent.  The smoothly running Internet is the set of
standards-compliant hosts.  We must guard against incorrectness with a
steady, ruthless, automated hand.
--
Shields.