Mostly operational content (was Re: piracy on parade)

  • From: J.D. Falk
  • Date: Fri Jul 14 16:45:38 2000

On 07/14/00, [email protected] wrote:

> But seriously - there's serious operational considerations involved if
> everybody doesn't have a consistent view of the DNS root - it's called
> Balkanization.

	Very true.  There are some who don't care about that, but in
	all the years they've been proposing alternate roots (and I,
	too, was in favor of the idea for a few months, early on), not
	one has ever had more than a handful of real users -- IMHO,
	this is due at least in part to the fact that the spokespeople
	for these schemes confuse invective with salesmanship.

	If your goal is to provide customers with access to the entire
	Internet, and to provide the entire Internet with access to
	your customers, then you'd be doing them a disservice if you
	encourage them to use non-standard top-level domains.

	Who was it who said "what if you had a revolution and nobody
	came?"

	(BTW, this has all been argued here many times before, both
	with and without kooks.)

--
J.D. Falk                                             "Laughter is the sound
Product Manager                          that knowledge makes when it's born."