RE: DNS for interfaces & PPPoE Time Burst

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Thu Jul 13 14:21:47 2000

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Bob Biver wrote:

> Addendum--
> To to overwhelming responce:
> I was simply trying to get a perspective on shaping PPPoE traffic. I would
> *NEVER* misinform or otherwise attempt to defraud anyone. The account would
> simply be cheaper than one that was advertised as full bandwidth. This
> account would be put out there so that *everyone* would know what they were
> buying 320K down with a 16K CIR up but burstable to 128. Sorry for the
> confusion-
>
> Bob-
>
> PS Why does everyone think poeple are trying to 'rip" off customers? you
> will not stay in business or in your job long if you do that.

Some of the oldest ISPs on the planet have been doing it for years.  It's
called oversubscribing.

288 ISDN ports at a POP being fed with 3 DS1's into the WAN.  They're
selling "business" accounts with a CIR of 128K.

We've run into it twice on WAN connections into supposed Tier-1's.  It's
sad when you have more connectivity into them than they have to the world
(at least at your peering point)..

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc