Re: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: Brett Frankenberger
  • Date: Tue Jul 11 07:54:53 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Scott McGrath <[email protected]>

> The biggest problem with ORBS is the ASSUMPTION that we are all
running
> sendmail.  MANY corporate sites use SMTP gateways which do not exhibit
> the same behavior as sendmail for instance Notes 5.0.x will accept a
UCE
> message and quietly drop it once it realizes that this is a UCE
message
> if the UCE filters are enabled.  This behavior will get you on the
ORBS
> list and until Lotus creates a Notes/Domino gateway which fully
emulates
> sendmail you cannot get off the ORBS list.

I am not an ORBS fan.  However, in the interest of factual accuracy, I
have not noticed this to be true (and there are Notes SMTP gateways on
the network I run).  Thre are some obscure relay syntaxes that can cause
Notes to relay even if you have relaying disabled.  If you don't take
steps to eliminate those, ORBS will consider you a relay.  But if you
configure it to block all relaying, you will not get on ORBS, even
though the Notes SMTP gateway will gladly accept a relay message, and
then drop it later.

You don't get on the ORBS relay list unless and until the test message
actually gets relayed.

     -- Brett