Re: [load balancing] Arrowpoint Load Balancing Devices

  • From: tony bourke
  • Date: Mon Jul 10 20:39:07 2000

I've used ArrowPoint switches on a number of high profile sites (50
million hits a day +), often times replacing another load balancing
product that couldn't hack it.  They are an ASIC based product, so they
can handle a high rate of connections per second better than a server
based product can.

I do not, however, use them as Layer 2 devices.  I don't use any of the
switch based load balancers as switches usually, I use another, usually
much larger device, to aggregate the traffic to servers and uplinks.

ArrowPoints are probobly my favorites, although I certainly enjoy using
Alteons and Foundry load balancers.

Like all load balancing products, not all work in every case.

Tony

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Karyn Ulriksen wrote:

> I'm wondering how other ISPs are using Arrowpoint devices in their networks.
> They must be successfully implemented in some networks with out many
> gotchas, considering that Cisco bought them.  After six months of testing
> Arrowpoint, I ended going with another LB solutions.  But I can't help but
> wonder what others are doing with them.  Have they made enough changes in
> their product that I should take a look at them again?

> Best regards,
>
> Karyn Ulriksen
> Director of Network Operations
> PublicHost, A SiteStream Company