Re: Open Question About AS Number assignments...

  • From: Wayne Bouchard
  • Date: Mon Jul 10 00:20:50 2000

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 07:58:50PM -0700, Aaron Moreau-Cook wrote:

> I was noticing that larger backbone providers, who have merged with other
> large backbone providers, seem to keep both AS numbers. Let's take Verio as
> a example, though Verio is only one of many who have multiple AS numbers.
> Verio has 8 AS numbers, AS 93, 97, 114, 275, 280, 253, 1225 and 2914.
>
> I noticed that there are no IP routes associated with 6 of the 8 AS numbers
> and that only AS 97 & AS 2914 has any IP routes.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Is there a easy mechnisim to give back AS numbers to the ARIN?

It is possible. As far as procedure, I'm not certain as I've never
done it..

> 2) Would ARIN even reallocate those AS numbers to new requesters?

Probably but it would make sense for them to hold them for a while to
make sure the previous user was "forgotten"

> 3) Could those AS numbers be transfered over to new organizations?

Happens all the time.

> 4) Is there a advantage for a organzation to have multiple AS numbers?

Yes. Global networks often use multiple ASNs as a visible
confederation. It makes an easy way to seperate regions of the globe
from one another. Especially if the different regions have (either by
choice, perversion, or necessity) different administrative policy.

Also usefull if the ASN is used for interal purposes. (EG, providing
BGP routes to a real-time lab etc where propegation might be necessary
from time to time thus rendering a private ASN unsuitable.)

> 5) Is there a advantage to having a lower AS number?

Technically, no. However, you don't see any major provider operating
with a 5 digit ASN do you? Its just not cool..

Wayne Bouchard                                    [Immagine Your    ]
[email protected]                                      [Company Name Here]
Network Engineer
http://www.typo.org/~web/resume.html