Re: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: J Bacher
  • Date: Sun Jul 09 19:55:45 2000

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> In my humble opinion any admin who permits their mailer to receive any
> e-mail from a known open relay (even so-called legitimate e-mail, since

It's either legitimate or it isn't.

> there's absolutely no way to identify legitimacy at the protocol level)
> is an accessory to any theft-of-service attack perpetrated on the relay,
> and is furthermore "guilty" in part of allowing known spam to reach
> their end users (assuming of course that they are willing to do anything

Next, you'll be asking telephone companies to be filtering phone
solicitors.  How would you like that done, by NPA or NPA/NXX?

The determination as to whether an ISP desires to exclude or include data
into the network should be based upon its business plan and customer
demands and not upon anyone's political agenda or name-calling.