RE: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Sun Jul 09 12:06:45 2000

> Sabri Berisha: Sunday, July 09, 2000 8:27 AM
>
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>
> > I agree. MHSC lost an entire market plan, hosting third-party
> > secure mail, becasue third-party mail services must allow
> > relaying that is at minimum semi-open. At the time SMTP AUTH
> > didn't exist (Until it's use becomes more wide-spread it
still
> > isn't real useful). The anti-relay bunch are killing a valid
> > business model.
>
> I can understand your grief. However, I expect you to have
> the same commen
> sense most of us have and you will probably know who to blame
> for this. Do
> you wish to blame the spammers or the volunteers who fight
spam?

Now that you mention it, yes I do. Spammers don't block access.
The RBL, which my systems subscribe to, only lists systems that
are PROVEN to originate or relay spam. ORBS simply is on the
"close all relays" jihad even if the system never saw spam. This
is very Napoleanic, not something that I can condone. Also, as I
said, there are valid reasons to allow third-party relays. In
fact, they are even required, depending on circumstances. The
ORBS effort, at forcing closure of ALL relays, and their faulty
testing (see prior message), actually creates a security problem.
If you don't see requireing internal confidential email to go
through an untrusted IAP mail hub as a security issue then we
have nothing more to talk about.

> > Even for internal use, we have staff, on
> > client-site, that need to send/recieve their mail from our
> > servers, even when their lap-top is DHCP attached to another
> > net-block. Every week we find ourselves having to open the
relays
> > more and more. Next week, I am travelling to the EU on
business.
> > That's yet more net-blocks that I have to allow relaying
from.

> I know of an isp in the netherlands that has it's relay open
for their
> users from all over the world. They built this system that
> checks if you
> have logged on using pop3 at least 1 time in the lasts 5
> minutes. If you
> did; you can relay. If you did not; your mail will be rejected.
> http://www.dds.nl is the project; their admins can tell you
more.

SMTP AUTH is more useful. We are looking into POP/SSL. POP before
SMTP is consiidered a non-starter.

> > Using the same sort of mind-set to subjectively BL
script-kiddee
> > networks is dangerous, as the ORBS bunch has shown. It is all
too
> > easy for it to get out of hand, vigilante-style. What are the
> > criteria and who has the over-sight?
>
> You can find the criteria on http://www.orbs.org

The criteria is arguable, but more importantly, where is the
oversight?

> > That said, having had a few of our production hosts "owned",
by
> > mwsh in the past, I am NOT fond of script-kiddies and agree
that
> > something needs to be done. But, I am seriously resistant to
yet
> > another ORBS style regulator bunch. That is NOT the answer.
> > Please, let's all look for another solution.
>
> You are free to come with a proposal?

How about setting up a REAL organization for once, rather than
these ad hoc hanging committees? You know, incorporate a
non-profit, feed it $$$ and watch it grow? Require membership
approval, oversight, etc.? You know, legitimate operations.