RE: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Sun Jul 09 11:24:51 2000

I could list a number of sites, (northgrumm.com et al
AeroSpace/DOD clients) where the first step, in security, is to
block port 22. In fact, to block ALL encrypted traffic. Those
guys see that as a National Security and contract requirements
issue <grin>. Those same outfits ban radio xmit/rcv at the guard
shack<g>.

For other, more civilian organizations, we frequently work with
groups that have SA staff that considers that the first step in
security is to cut the connection altogether. Failing that,
blocking all ports, on all hosts, is the next reflexive step.
Eventually, we get down to required ports and proxy servers. The
bottom-line is that we've had to go as far as running a VPN on
port 80 and that only works if there is a direct path (no proxy).
In many organizations, a system isn't considered secure unless
port 22 is blocked, at the firewall. It is, after all, the secure
port, that must mean that you have to block it to be secure,
right?

In this sort of environment, we don't usually get assigned
internal email accounts, we have to use our own. However, they
usually allow proxied port 25 and 110 access but the source
address is still theirs. Yes, I already use F-Secure when I can.

> From: Dana Hudes: Saturday, July 08, 2000 9:55 PM
>
> The solution is not to open relays but to use an IPSEC tunnel
> into the internal network. Or you could use SSH port
> forwarding to accomplish the same thing.
> If you open relays, the spammers will find and abuse them.
> IPSEC clients and servers are available commercially. Nortel
> Networks Contivity Extranet Gateway is one, and Nortel use it
> themselves.
> Shiva have a similar product.

business.
> > That's yet more net-blocks that I have to allow relaying
from.

> > A single ORBS forged header, with the right source info in
it,
> > will pass right through our mail system, like it was greased.
The
> > whole anti-relay jihad is a fallacious rat-hole populated by
> > rabid self-righteous rats who don't have a clue. If they
don't
> > need it then it must not be a valid feature <humph!>. ORBS
itself
> > should be RBL'd, IMHO.
> >
> > Using the same sort of mind-set to subjectively BL
script-kiddee