Re: No, ORBS is a good tool [WAS: Alright, ORBS sucks - next topic, please ;) [was RE: RBL-type BGPservice for known rogue networks?]]

  • From: Joe Provo - Network Architect
  • Date: Sat Jul 08 18:04:58 2000

[Note reply-to is not the list; see nanog archives for more orbs
discussion]

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 01:22:01PM -0700, Eric A. Hall wrote:
[snip]
> I don't know if you actually went out of your way to misrepresent my
> comments or if it was accidental. Either way, you're wrong again: The
> 'service' they provide is a database of VERIFIED open relays. It is a
> damn good service and is very a useful tool in the arsenal.

ORBS is a well-documented spite list, among other things.  Networks are
listed for requesting that they not be probed, regardless of their
status, among other behaviors.  The mere fact that un-requested and
un-provoke probes are issued at whim is alarming net.abuse, IMNSHO, and
the only marginally relevant portion of this particular offshoot thread.

Cheers,

Joe
--
Joe Provo                                            Voice  508.486.7471
Director, Internet Planning & Design                 Fax    508.229.2375