RE: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: Sabri Berisha
  • Date: Sat Jul 08 16:13:17 2000

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000 [email protected] wrote:

Hi,

[big 8<]

> substantial way, they vote with their feet and go to some other provider who
> not only doesn't secure his mail relay, but ignores spam complaints, as
> well.

You state that your organization is a hosting toko only. Well, join the
club; Peter van Dijk and I both work for the same organization which is
also a hosting-only isp.

We do not have open relay's in our network. Whenever a colocated server
turns out to be an open relay I block port 25 on our border router.

Being a hosting-only-party means that all our customers dial in through a
dialup-isp. If you would name me one big dialup isp that does not have a
relaying smtp server for their customers I might consider your argument a
legitimate one.

Please do not this is not a flame to you specific. I just feel that the
single point of being "just a hosting provider" justifies open relays in a
network.

--
Sabri Berisha
(This is my personal opinion, not that of my employer)