RE: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: rdobbins
  • Date: Sat Jul 08 14:04:14 2000

ORBS forge headers (thereby violating the RFC) to look as if they're coming
from domains you host, then if it goes through, they put you in their little
black book for being an 'open relay'.  No notice, nothing.

The problem with this is that for hosting-only providers like my firm, it's
blatantly unfair.  We have thousands of users residing on networks (lots of
dynamic addresses) all over the world who have domains hosted with us; they
also have email aliases for the domains they host here.  And while we
encourage them to use IMAP, it's like herding cats to get any substantial
percentage doing anything other than basic POP and SMTP.

POP-before-SMTP isn't viable for the same reason that it's extremely
difficult to get people to use IMAP; to wit, users tend to resist change.
In a corporate environment, you can force remote users to use additional
authentication mechanisms, as long as you're willing to set them up and
train the users.  Out here in the world, though, if you come down on people
over something which forces them to change the way they do things in any
substantial way, they vote with their feet and go to some other provider who
not only doesn't secure his mail relay, but ignores spam complaints, as
well.

Our NOC staff act -immediately- upon any complaints of spam or forged mail -
no one has ever acused us of being a spam-house or anything other than
spammer-*unfriendly*.  And yet, due to the current well-known limitations of
SMTP as currently defined in the standard, their blatant adoption of
RFC-violating spammer tactics, and their unwillingness to acknowledge that
not every provider offers transport to his userbase (thereby rendering
address-based validation unworkable), the ORBS folks decide to tar my
organization with the same brush as, say, rr.com.

No discussion, no examination of our track record and response-times, nada.

Where's the equity in that, I ask you?

Roland Dobbins <[email protected]> // 818.535.5024 voice