Re: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Sat Jul 08 07:28:03 2000

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 04:43:14PM -0500, John Kristoff wrote:

> Regardless, if that were to be SOP, then I don't think that's the answer
> the Internet should be looking for.  Hearing from others, it appears as
> though the MAPS approach may have the desired affect without blackholing
> sites recklessly.

That's what I was advocating.

The ORBS approach is completely justified for open relays, which are easily
testable programmatically (which is what they do), but clearly something like
the MAPS and/or UDP approach is necessary for this.

You can't really test people at random to see if they're harboring script kiddies,
you have to observe it in action and observe their reaction when contacted.