Re: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Fri Jul 07 19:55:10 2000

Steve Noble wrote:

> Since I was recently tracking back a 4Mb/s attack coming from UUNet and had
> a chance to deal with their security department, I think I should comment.
>
> a.) The UUNet security department was amazingly helpful and clueful

Having actually visited the UUNet NOC when I was in DC in May,
courtesy of an acquaintance of mine who works in UUNet Abuse[0], I
will say the following:

1. There are a lot of people working there. 33, to be exact.
2. The half-dozen that I talked to that were there on that day
(Saturday) impressed me as people who know what they're doing
and actually *do* give a damn.

> I've always been impressed with UUNet's ability to handle their customers
> even with such a large network.  They have -never- refused to track an attack
> for me, and have always been more then helpful.

They still have some issues with spamhandling, but that's gotten
MUCH better, according to the data I see in my Inbox. And of course,
DoS attacks must always be given a higher priority than junk e-mail.

--
North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH
http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net