Re: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: Ryan Tucker
  • Date: Fri Jul 07 19:23:11 2000

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000 17:45:28 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
> Apply this thought experiment:  Pick a *large* provider.  AOL, Sprint,
> British Telecom, Yahoo - anything that a lot of people use.  Now assume
> that the blackhole list is in common use (since it's not effective if it
> isn't).  What's the impact on the net if said large provider *does* get
> black-listed?
>
> If I was clever and pissed at AOL, I'd certainly look for a way to create
> enough evidence that AOL needed black-listing. What a nice DOS that would be ;)

In theory, the provider will get a nice e-mail before they're blocked...
if someone's trying to pull a fast one, the ISP will be able to look at
that and determine whether or not it's legitimate.

Now, if the provider doesn't respond, they might get a little
blacklisted... but is that necessarily bad, given the previous check?
-rt

--
Ryan Tucker <[email protected]>                      Network Administrator
NetAccess, Inc.                                      Phone: +1 716 756-5596