RE: LoadBalancing products: Foundry ServerIron

  • From: tony bourke
  • Date: Fri Jul 07 12:04:46 2000

True, thats why I don't particularly like LocalDirectors.  Most of the
other load balancing solutions do offer GigE, however.  I prefer LB over
clustering as it gives you more flexibility in what you use as far as your
platform.  Microsoft's clustering software limits you to microsoft, while
I'm not sure if resonate will let you do both UNIX and Windows.

The implementation is alot simpler as well, the LB is bascially acting as
a glorified router in most cases, so its a very logical and elegant
solutions.  Clustering, at least in my experience, tends to be more
combersome and complex to setup.

But that is just my humble opinion.

LB vs Clustering sounds like a possible religeous debate ;)

Tony

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:

> Yeah, so why bother? As long as load balancers don't have GigE
> ports, I can't use them and have to use something like Resonate.
> Besides, LBs don't do site-site load balancing. If you want to do
> distributed load sharing then there really isn't much choice.
> Personally, I don't see benefits of LBs that proper clustering
> wont give you. Component clusters work well, much better than
> simple LB will give you.
>
> > From: tony bourke: Friday, July 07, 2000 8:01 AM
> >
> > you can do EtherChannel for more than 100 Mbps, but we all
> > know how well
> > that works.
> >
> > Tony
> >
> > On Fri, 7 Jul
> > 2000, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
> >

> > > The last time I looked at one, I couldn't get it in
> > > GigE...100baseTX only. Ergo, I couldn't run it on my
> backbone.

Tony Bourke				[email protected]