RE: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: Kai Schlichting
  • Date: Fri Jul 07 11:35:01 2000

At Friday 04:28 AM 7/7/00, Joe Shaw wrote:

>UUNet's abuse department used to be the same way, especially during the
>weekend.  If you wanted to annoy the piss out of a UUNet dedicated line
>customer, the weekend was the time to do it.  I don't know if that's
>changed now.

Winds are shifting. One of the original spam floods that trigggered the
creation of SpamShield, was from an Alternet dialup, and it took them
a mere 10 minutes to shut that account off. That must have been a different
department at the time:

Try being on the receiving end of a spoofed/randomized SYN/anything
flood that doesn't exceed, say: 1Mbps and doesn't load UUnet's network
so much. They won't even lift a damn finger and TRY to trace this back,
supposedly because they can't trace it back through their ATM PVCs
(an argument that has been backed up by other people I spoke to).
They will happily charge you for the traffic though.
A network design that doesn't allow tracing back spoofed traffic?
Way to go, UUnet.

And yes, I remember CenterTrack: http://www.nanog.org/mtg-9910/robert.html ,
it just wasn't in production at the time - and I have no idea if it was
ever deployed successfully.

Now, lets watch Vijay rush to the defense of his, uhm, stock options.