Re: scripts kiddie sites

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Fri Jul 07 02:08:16 2000

Yet another reason to use adaptive firewall technology.  We had one of our
secondary DNS servers "owned" during due to an old copy of bind.  At that
point, we just flat out blocked all traffic beyond DNS to that box unless
it was coming<->going to our management network.  We did the same thing
for our colo customers who run their own DNS.  One had the exploit run
against their DNS server and the "ADM.ROCKS" or whatever it was file
showed up in their /var/named directory but, the SK's couldn't do anything
else because the only traffic that could make it to the box was DNS.

I know that this won't stop the resourceful/clue-owning cracker but, it
sure put a dent in the lil' bastards who were running the pre-packaged
exploits!

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc