Re: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Thu Jul 06 21:59:33 2000

Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Steve Sobol wrote:
>
>  | > These *exact* same arguments were used/continue to be used against
>  | > RBL/RSS...
>  | ...and the MAPS folks are still looking for the landmark lawsuit that
>  | will decide things once and for all. I don't think they've been sued
>  | yet.
>
> This is ridiculous, a non-issue

> 1. Nobody on the Internet is required to accept traffic for anyone
> 2. None of these lists block ANYTHING.  PROVIDERS BLOCK.  If anyone is a
> target, it's the provider using these services, not the list.  Also, see 1.

*I* agree with you.

I'd venture to guess that most of the people on this list also
agree with you.

However, unless there's something I don't know about you guys,
there are no lawyers or judges amongst the readers of NANOG.

The problem is, although judges are usually pretty good at
making the right decision, there's no guarantee that if this
issue went to trial, MAPS would win.

And in the highly litigious environment in which we live,
it's a good idea to make sure you have all the legal bases
covered.

--
North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH
http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net