Re: RBL-type BGP service for known rogue networks?

  • From: Tony Mumm
  • Date: Thu Jul 06 18:01:12 2000

 David Charlap <[email protected]>
    wrote

>I don't know if this what you were observing, but the MAPS RBL can be
>used in this capacity.  See also:
>
>	http://www.mail-abuse.org/rbl/usage.html#BGP
>
>Of course, you'd want a different database for blocking script kiddies.
>
>-- David

I think that is similar to what you want....and it might be adequate
against scanners and other simple hacks.   I don't think it would be
worth anything against a flood, the flood isn't going to care
that it sees nothing coming back from your network.    It might
discourage someone if they see no ECHO_REPLYs coming back from their 10 Mbit
smurf....but it probably wouldn't be long before they just stop caring.

Tony