RE: LoadBalancing products: Foundry ServerIron

  • From: Karyn Ulriksen
  • Date: Thu Jul 06 12:58:29 2000

>Right. However the common solution is to delegate a small subdomain just
>for the 3dns'ed RR's to it (and perhaps cname to them from the top level).

I figured.  And also considered the sub-delegation.  Only one problem.  More
often than not the website "www.domain.com" also wants "domain.com" pointing
to their service.  If you point it all at the 3DNS, that kind of blows the
sub-delegation theory.  AND, if you sub-delegate the "www.domain.com" and
put an entry in the domain.com zone record on your regular DNS server - it
can be managed OK for a few domains, but what about when you have a very
large server farm... [eyes rolling] gads!

>Yep, its a hacked up bind8. Haven't taken the time to pull it apart as
>much as I'd like, but I would be surprised if anything you could do with
>~8.1 didn't work with their box.

We should all hammer on Vixie or ISC to get this in BIND anyways.  Wouldn't
that be sweet and save us all $30-40k per device....