Re: LoadBalancing products: Foundry ServerIron

  • From: Bennett Todd
  • Date: Thu Jul 06 12:31:09 2000

2000-07-06-11:56:34 Karyn Ulriksen:
> > How about Local Director?
>
> Everyone I've spoke to about LD is very unhappy with it's
> performance.

That can only be because you didn't speak to me:-).

Seriously, I've used them a fair bit, and like 'em a lot. Their
H-A failover is superb, they load balance really gracefully, their
hold-time feature (making assignments sticky) works well with simple
website designs for session tracking; and I really love the way they
passively monitor the performance of all servers in the farm and
consistently route traffic to the currently fastest server.

I've heard that they max out around 80Mbps. That was a year or so
ago, I've no idea if that's still the case. I've never hit their
limits. But I can believe that a faster-but-dumber load balancer
would have a higher ceiling.

-Bennett