LoadBalancing products: Foundry ServerIron

  • From: Peter Francis
  • Date: Wed Jul 05 19:02:30 2000

The Foundry solution (ServerIron) is not BGP based.

It is a DNS-based solution that uses a round-trip-time metric (calculated based on TCP syn/ack from client to server by the ServerIron on a per connection basis).

The two down-sides of a DNS based solution are both caused by the fact that client source IPs are not contained in the request that comes from the client DNS resolver:

1] persistant connections must be managed on each real server.

2] client's whose IP is not within the same netblock (defaults to /20, tuneable) as DNS resolver do not get the benefit of RTTmetrics.

Peter