RE: bad idea?

  • From: Richard A. Steenbergen
  • Date: Wed Jul 05 13:42:00 2000

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Karyn Ulriksen wrote:

> Riigghhhttttt.....   But if the server goes down and the IP is unreachable,
> DNS will never know and all his structure goes for naught...

Thats actually a good thing, at least for the short-term. If the IP is
down hard and isn't coming back up (for example, the server crashed),
thats a different story. A short TTL works, if you don't mind it
offsetting the benefits of DNS caching. Its an all around grody hack, but
its still better then other alternatives. It also helps if the DNS
"server" for this load balanced sub-domain is integrated with the box, for
example a Foundry ServerIron which can perform health checks, and withdraw
the announcement if its no longer viable to get answers from this server.
As long as the grody-ness stays restricted to this confined area, and
doesn't break anything else... I can live with it.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <[email protected]>   http://www.e-gerbil.net/humble