RE: PGP kerserver infrastructure

  • From: L. Sassaman
  • Date: Mon Jul 03 22:37:16 2000

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Dave Del Torto wrote:
> >Unlike an X.500 directory, it is very difficult to segment PGP keys
> >into directories. How would one do this? Using DNS?
>
> Right. DNSsec defines KEY and SIG records, so you could
> theoretically have a key associated with every IP address.

DNS is extremely ill-suited to serving as a key distribution method. This
has been discussed multiple times, and the people who have actually worked
on keyservers all generally agree that there must be better means for
doing this.

> >Which domain would one choose to use for cataloging the keys? (ex.:
> >My key has multiple email addresses, including quickie.net and
> >pgp.com. Which domain would it be under?)  ...
>
> Both. Availability is a primary design criteria.

How about keys like the PGP Employee Certification Key, which has no email
address? What if quickie.net was an ISP that did not want to run a
keyserver? Have you ever actually tried to use bind to serve keys? (I
think not, or else you would not be suggesting it.)

> >Multiple servers only exist for redundancy and performance benefits.
>
> They also provide rapid access for local users. It's the same as when
> I plug a new device onto my network and it's IP and FQDN get sucked
> into the DNS, then someone can do a DNS "DIG" for the machine's
> address based on some protocol need.
>
> Draw the analog in key management to DHCP, and build that.

Again, trying to shoehorn PGP key serving into an existing technology
might be a good thing, but only if that existing technology will be
suitable. DNS is not.

__

L. Sassaman

System Administrator                |
Technology Consultant               |  "Common sense is wrong."
icq.. 10735603                      |
pgp.. finger://ns.quickie.net/rabbi |    --Practical C Programming