RE: PGP kerserver infrastructure

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Sat Jul 01 18:12:37 2000

> L. Sassaman: Saturday, July 01, 2000 2:44 PM

> On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Bennett Todd wrote:
>
> > The real difference between the two is that S/MIME is based
on the
> > model of creating and subsidizing an artificial monopoly for
the
> > CAs, while PGP is not. Unless you're a CA, it's an easy
choice:-).

> And to expound upon this a little, CAs have artificially set
> PGP up as a
> competitor to their existance. CAs could easily embrace PGP
> and offer PGP
> services along with S/MIME and TLS. They choose not to, since
> PGP makes
> CAs optional (not obsolute, however).

First, I should state that I am NOT a Verisign fan. Quite the
opposite. However, commercial CAs don't have a lock on being CAs.
Ergo, monopoly issues do not apply here. In fact, most uses of a
CA, within an organization, are in the line of validating that
the user belongs to that organization, or is associated somehow
(ie. extra net access). There is no need for such an org to pay
for a commercial cert as they can be their own CA. This is much
like what randy is proposing for NANOG folks. NANOG, actually
merit, could fire up such a CA and NANOG folk could use it. A
common key format would allow certs to be issued for SSL as well
as S/MIME uses. OpenSSL actually allows you to generate a
key/CRL/etc that works both for S/MIME and SSL. The CA software
is also open-sourced via OpenCA.

Now there may be issues of taste, with not wanting to run a CA
based on perl scripts. But the fact of the matter is that the
population of NANOG would not stress such a system, even on a 486
Linux box. There is even a perl compiler that works with
mod_perl.