RE: PGP kerserver infrastructure

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Sat Jul 01 14:15:53 2000

> From: Albert Levi: Saturday, July 01, 2000 10:04 AM

> Please have a look at your wallet and see how many pieces of
ID/cards
> you have. I have at least 20. And they are needed for different
> purposes. I cannot use my driver's license to make a payment
> and cannot
> use my credit card as a passport.

Not only is this argument by analogy, the connections are
tenuous. I hold my credit cards and Keys physically in my hand.
That is much different that having a bunch of random numbers that
are too long to remember. Even so, I never carry more than 3-4,
of >20, credit cards, nor do I carry all my keys. In fact, I try
to reduce the number of each as much as possible, even if this
means consolidating combinations/numbers/keys. Granted, this
didn't connect with me either, until my users started
complaining. In key management, there quickly comes a point where
the management itself becomes a security risk.

> Similarly a user can get several
> certificates for different applications. And this is necessary
for
> authorization purposes. Although I aggree that it is not so
easy to
> describe the fact of several cert necessity for SSL and
PGP/PEM/S/MIME
> to a non-technical person, I believe that anyone can get the
> philosophy
> behind the analogic difference between the car key (to get to
home -
> SSL) and the home key (to enter the home - PGP/PEM/...).
> You'd certainly
> want your kids enter home but not use your car.

I'm an empty-nester, my kids don't have access. You may explain
it to them, but they will only grudgingly agree. Then only
because they don't know any better and you don't give them a
choice. You will lose them to the first one that gives them that
choice.

Users don't want to know the difference between SSL POP Auth and
message content encryption. To them, it is all the same.
Technically, there is no reason that you can't use the same key
for both. Neither to they understand the difference between
Webmail and POP email, after all, the content is the same. "why
do I have to have three different certs to read the same email
message?" is exactly what they asked me. To be honest, I couldn't
answer that satisfactorily, because there was no non-ideological
answer. Technically, X.509 would indeed give it to them, PGP
wont.