RE: Experience with Cybex

  • From: James Smith
  • Date: Fri Jun 30 15:25:09 2000

Oops, social faux pas! :) Here are my finds:

Our criteria are the following:
- A KVM switch system.
- Must support PCs, SUNs, and any serial devices.  (We have several
Cisco's and APC's)
- Must be expandable to large number of devices, for investment
protection.  (We have 17 devices to start off with, and who knows where
we'll end up in the future.)
- Must support multiple users.

I started looking at Cybex, since we have a little 4 port Cybex
already.  The 4040 model looked like it would suit our needs.  We need 6
PC connections with PS/2, 3 Sun connections with video, and 8 serial
connections (2 Suns, 4 Ciscos and 2 APCs).  Since there are 17 devices, we
needed two of the 4040 models, with a communications card in between.

Then, with some help from this list, I identified other competitors.

I looked at Rose Electronics (www.rosel.com).  Their stuff looked good,
but I couldn't find anything on support for serial devices.  I didn't look
at them further after that.

I also looked at Apex (www.apex.com), but again I didn't see anything for
serial support.  (Besides, their press releases said something about just
finishing a merger with Cybex.)

Raritan has a similar offering to Cybex, with their MX4.  We priced out a
similar configuration and the price of the Raritan was the same as the
Cybex.  (About $12,000 CDN).

The deciding factor was that since we are expanding, and most of our new
systems are Suns and Ciscos with serial ports, we chose the Cybex.

--
James Smith, CCNA
Chief Network/System Administrator

http://www.dxstorm.com/

DXSTORM Inc.
2395 Speakman Drive, Suite 2200
Mississauga, ON,  L5K 1B3   CANADA
Tel: 905-822-1957 (email preferred)
Fax: 905-822-0680
1-877-DXSTORM (1-877-397-8676)

"Feeling 'connected' with carbon-based dolts holds all the joy of being
handcuffed to a dead zebra - it sounds special, but it can get old
fast."

  - The Dilbert Principle
      - Engineers, Scientists, Programmers and Other Odd People