RE: PGP kerserver infrastructure

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Fri Jun 30 12:29:24 2000

> When you look at this issue, there are three competing subproblems:
> 1) How do I find the X server for domain Y that domain Y is running?
> 1A) How do I find the X server that proxies for domain Y (a subcase of 1)
> 2) How do I find user Z in domain Y when no server (proxy or native) is
> available?
> 3) How do I find user Z in a list of user registries? (and how do I find
> the definitive list of user registries?)

to users, there are only two questions:
  o given a pgp id, show me the key
  o kiven a key id, show me the key

all of the 'sub-problems' above are a symptoms of trying to impose multiple
servers, dns-based solutions, proxies, ... to solve a classic internet
scaling problem.  simply don't go there, complexity increses super-linearly
with scale with these methods.

randy