Re: Illuminet ss7 cable cut (was Re: New York City: ATT Local Service (TCG))

  • From: Charles Sprickman
  • Date: Thu Jun 29 02:46:05 2000

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, John Fraizer wrote:

> You would think that ANY outage of this size would require an outage
> report, no matter what the duration.

I imagine that if Illuminet customers actually provided any local service
(residential or business), this would cause a bit of a stink.  If someone
couldn't make a life or death 911 call, even more so.  ATTLS at least (the
one customer of Illuminet I'm aware of) sells very heavy to the dialup
market.  The one customer I knew of that didn't fit the recip-comp
paradigm is NYU.  I only know this because there used to be a piece of
paper hanging in the switch tech's office that reminded them they must
page some telecom manager there whenever there was a service disruption.

So even though this left thousands of dialup ports dead for at least 6
hours and left many dialup customers furious, I doubt that much will be
made of it outside nanog.

Nice loophole they have in reporting though.

Charles