Re: Illuminet ss7 cable cut (was Re: New York City: ATT Local Service (TCG))

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Jun 29 01:55:30 2000

On Wed, 28 June 2000, John Fraizer wrote:
> You would think that ANY outage of this size would require an outage
> report, no matter what the duration.  Oh well.  I guess Illuminet

As I said, its a quirk in the FCC reporting regulations.  Illuminet
has relatively few direct customers (just a few IXCs and CLECs), so
it never triggers the 30,000 customer regulation.  On the other hand,
carriers are not required to report outages in leased facilities from
other carriers.  Only the immediate supplier is required to report the
outage.   Put the two together, and you can have a wide-spread outage
affecting lots of end subscribers, but is not reportable.