RE: PGP kerserver infrastructure

  • From: L. Sassaman
  • Date: Tue Jun 27 22:29:07 2000

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Randy Bush wrote:

> > Would it be proper for someone (such as myself) to simply write an RFC
> > documenting the best current practice? Should this come prior to the
> > formation of a working group (if one indeed occurs?)
>
> i think we are using the wrong mailing list for this discussion.
>
> but a wg is spun up
>   o if there is work to be done that needs development and consensus.  as
>     you sound like you plan to document an existing protocol, this is not
>     the case
>   o if you do think there is work to be done that needs development and
>     consensus, then we usually see if there is sufficient momentum by having
>     a bof
>   o these days, unless a topic is obviously hot, to get a bof slot needs
>     a bit of homework, namely an active discussion usually happing on a
>     work-item-specific mailing list and an internet-draft either published
>     (as -00 or whatever) or at least well along in process
>
> i suspect that this discussion is best held elsewhere.  i would have said
> the [email protected] list, except it seems to be oriented toward
> one semi-commercial product.  but i am most likely misconstruing it.

Yep. The pgp-keyserver-folk list is independant of any commercial product,
and covers all three existing keyservers. Let's discuss this there.

(For the keyserver-folks people now entering this conversation, we're
discussing the need for an RFC or other suitable documentation, if we are
to get any involvement from major network service providers -- that's the
conversation in a nutshell.)

- --Len.

__

L. Sassaman

System Administrator                |  "Everything looks bad
Technology Consultant               |   if you remember it."
icq.. 10735603                      |
pgp.. finger://ns.quickie.net/rabbi |        --Homer Simpson