Re: FW: public key service

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Tue Jun 27 13:38:59 2000

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 10:15:57AM -0700, L. Sassaman wrote:

> > > Discussion in detail as to why that's so is seriously off-topic, and so
> > > I'm
> > > not going to try to defend the point one way or the other; I'm merely
> > > commenting that many PGP users will think it's so, and that's enough for
> > > the purposes of this discussion.
>
> I don't think it is. You can't make a statement like that (when every
> indication says that the opposite is true) and expect people to "accept
> for the sake of discussion" that it is true.

I don't expect anybody here to accept that it is true.  Not one.

I only expect you to accept that a very large portion of PGP users believe
it.

Whether they're correct or not is completely irrelevant to the discussion
at hand, and further is horribly off-topic, whereas the *FACT* that they
do believe it in significant quantity is of relevance to determining whether
or not it makes economic sense to try to put together the kind of widespread
cooperation that will be necessary to make this as robust as DNS, which was
what we were using as our benchmark.

The one discussion is semi-operational; the other is completely not.

I won't get into the other here.