Re: WHOIS source?

  • From: Andrew Brown
  • Date: Fri Jun 23 18:27:34 2000

>> >Can someone point me to the source for a whois server... I
>don't know
>> >why, but I haven't been able to find any sources....
>>
>> it seems to me that in the complete and utter absence of a
>formal
>> protocol, a sample implementation might something like:
>
>RFC812

well, yes...but that's a matchbook protocol if i ever saw one.  three
pages on "send a line to the server and it will send you stuff back".
:)

besides...only internic's server seems to come close to implementing
the protocol as described there, which, incidentally, doesn't describe
the "forwarding" responses that rs.internic.net now feeds us.

i stand by my implementation.  by putting the appropriate data in the
database, the implementation i gave can do just about all of that.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
[email protected]             * "ah!  i see you have the internet