Re: WHOIS source?

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Fri Jun 23 17:41:50 2000

"Roeland Meyer (E-mail)" wrote:

> > Steve Sobol: Friday, June 23, 2000 1:33 PM
> >
> > Can someone point me to the source for a whois server... I
> don't know
> > why, but I haven't been able to find any sources....
>
> I've been looking for one of those myself. Original was written
> by SRI/NSI and was never released in source. It was always
> considered proprietary. MHSC is writing one under the DNSO.NET
> site, at http://www.dnso.net/projects.htm. Frankly, I'm not sure
> that I'd even want to start with NSI's sources, considering the
> trouble they're having (SRS/whois integration).

I was pointed to, and have downloaded, the NSI source, or the source
purported to be in use by NSI (as noted at
http://nw.com/nw/WWW/software/whois.html)

I'll take a look at the rwhois source and at your source also.

I don't need to link this whois server to anyone else. What I'm
doing is setting up a database of contact information for my customers
that have leased-lines or other dedicated connections, or that have
websites hosted here. The idea is to facilitate fighting abuse,
and to give accurate contact info for other reasons... because, well,
we all know how accurate the ARIN/RIPE/APNIC databases are... :)

I also plan on eventually using this whois server as an easy way to
find contact information for people working here.

--
North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH
http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net