Re: using IRR tools for BGP route filtering

  • From: Jeff Haas
  • Date: Fri Jun 23 15:42:31 2000

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 12:56:32PM -0500, Mark Borchers wrote:
> Are there any plans to correlate route registry objects against
> address registry databases?

Yes.  RFC 2725 - Routing Policy System Security.

This will provide an authorization mechanism for delegation of
objects.  This includes provisions for "unauhorized" (private)
data in the IRR - its simply tagged differently.

> I believe that one of the roots of this thread is the need to validate
> the legitimacy of not only routes, but registered route objects.

Oh believe me, we know. :-)

> Although it is too much to expect that route objects will match up
> cleanly with address block assignments at the outset, performing
> such a correlation would at least identify the scope of the problem.

I've had some initial conversations with ARIN on getting SWIP information
published in RPSL format (as inet-num objects) minus the contact
information.  Now if someone has an idea for how to represent
allocation lengths for the IP registries in an inet-num object,
I think we can make a lot of people happy.

We will also be talking to RIPE and APNIC about this as work progresses.

--
Jeffrey Haas - Merit RSng project - [email protected]