Re: using IRR tools for BGP route filtering

  • From: Michael Shields
  • Date: Fri Jun 23 13:05:15 2000

In article <[email protected]>,
Danny McPherson <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's interesting that for quite a while nearly 30K PSTN 800 numbers
> were allocated nearly every week, with number portability and all.
> Perhaps we're simply missing something :-)

As has been observed many times on NANOG, one of the advantages that a
circuit-switched network like the PSTN has over a packet-switched network
like the Internet is that the PSTN has leisurely call setup times and
relatively infrequent routing table lookups.  No long-distance carrier
processes even 100 million phone calls in a day networkwide; yet there
are many routers which process billions of packets daily *per interface*.
--
Shields.