Re: Generally accepted announcement sizes

  • From: bmanning
  • Date: Thu Jun 22 19:10:10 2000

Routing Arbiter database.
The Routing Arbiter project was the first to attempt automated
arbitration of routing.  The database was intended to drive
machines, called route servers, which were placed at the NSF
NAPs. ISPs were expected to peer with the RS machines, gaining
a composite view of the world as reflected in the policies of the
ISP peers.  The ISP would, in effect, pass the policy constructions
to their peers and would trust the RAdb and the RArs to present
a rational view of the world.

The project ran in this manner from 1994 through 1996.
Tools development continued at ISI through mid 2000 (RPSL et.al.)
The NAPs, the Route Servers, and the RAdb all became commercial
activites.