Re: Generally accepted announcement sizes

  • From: Danny McPherson
  • Date: Thu Jun 22 17:32:14 2000

The providers I'm aware that perform filtering of this sort
normally do so based on the length of allocations from the
RIRs (ARIN, APNIC & RIPE) within the associated address blocks.
These polices have little to do with the RADB (Routing Arbiter
Database) or other IRRs.

Of course, if inter-provider filtering were feasible the specific
route objects would be obtained from the RIRs and pretty much any
correctly registered route (of a "more reasonable than today"
length) would probably be accepted by those providers.

Consulting the allocation guidelines for those specific RIRs should
help answer your question.  Consulting the "ISP Resources" section
of the NANOG web server should provide useful information regarding
specific filtering policies implemented by a few ISPs.

-danny